Tuesday 1 March 2016

Maya - Keep on trucking

I found this exercise very difficult and encountered a lot of problems... But towards the end it was safe to say, I REALLY ended up enjoying it. Solving problems and so forth. But I still feel I haven't fully got my head around using it..


Creating and manipulating the primitives was easy enough, the guide I followed was very easy to follow.


It was great to be guided on how to duplicate, stressing how naming your components is a vital feature to stop confusion, with grouping adding extra organisation of components, but you are still able to access the components whilst grouped.


What I encountered problems with was smoothing out the truck edges. The "offset" tool never worked for me. I asked other students for help but still no amendment to the issue was found. The numbers increased but no evidence on my model happened.


My finished truck!

This exercise has really helped me get my head around the axis, moving the components on this axis and using the side view etc, to ensure accuracy with your model. Also how to use the interface, what buttons access what and how to move around the workspace. However I still encounter issues with the edge tool and manipulating with that, also snapping and adjusting the pivot.

Finished renders;







Then I decided to take it that one step further.  I wanted to texture it and add a trailer.

So, for my texturing, used automatic mapping;


After freezing the state of my polygons. I then stiched together all the edges to create a UV map, which I screenshotted and took into photoshop.

Where I added my own elements;




I went for a realistic truck texture, and was very happy with the results.









Obviously there are lots of elements that could do with some improvement, but this has been a MASSIVE learning curve for me, and I have really enjoyed the whole process. I want to do more, and im so glad I took time to watch tutorials.



No comments:

Post a Comment